Providing Resources and Essentials to Prepare Kids for School
Saturday, August 27, 2022
Our 7th Annual Event! Throughout the years, we’ve helped over 1,100 students have a great start to their school year.
- We provide new sneakers, socks, underwear, and hygiene items (shampoo, soap, washcloth, toothbrush and toothpaste) for kids, a donated age-appropriate book, and community resource information for families.
- The Homer Food Pantry will also provide a bag of kid-friendly food staples (peanut butter, jelly, cereal, snacks) per family.
- The event serves kids from grades Pre-K to 12th grade from all school districts of Cortland County.
- Preregistration is required. We prepare an individualized bag for each child with their specific size of sneakers, socks and underwear.
- Families need to plan to pick up items at Homer Congregational Church on Saturday, August 27 from 9 am – 12 noon. Children do not need to be present at time of pick up. If transportation is an issue, a friend or family member can pick up on your behalf. However, we are unable to deliver items to you. Please only register if you can reasonably plan to pick up the items.
Foot Measuring for Sneaker Sizes
We want to help kids get the right size sneaker! You can visit a local shoe store to have your child’s foot measured – or you can do so at home. If you have the ability to print, you can use the sizing guide below. Or watch the video about how to measure your child’s foot for sneakers with just a piece of paper and a ruler.
We have reached 300 registrations for our 2022 event and have closed regular registration.
We also have 120 registrations on a waiting list and have reached capacity for our 2022 event. If you have already registered on the waiting list, we will contact you at the information you provided on the form if we are able to assist.
Email is our primary form of communication to families about the event. Please check your email frequently throughout the summer.
Sponsor a Child
To sponsor a child, we ask that you commit to purchasing a new pair of sneakers, a new pack of underwear, and a new pack of socks. Sponsors will receive by email or phone the child(ren)’s age, grade, shoe size, underwear size and favorite color.
We will be collecting the items from sponsors Saturdays in August prior to the event (Aug. 6, 13 and 20) from 9 – 11 am. Drive to rear of church, and church members will be outside to collect your bag(s). To ensure enough time for sorting/organizing, please make sure items are delivered to Homer Congregational Church by August 20.
Want to support PREP with a financial donation – and let us buy the items? Checks, payable to Homer Congregational Church, can be mailed with “Back to School PREP” in the memo line. Or donate online via Tithely and in the notes section, indicate “Back to School PREP.” Thank you for your support!